Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dexter season 6 episode 1 : Those Kinds of Things

Summary : Promising religion-driven season and guest stars, hilarious and macabre scenes, fresh and exciting premiere, entertaining highschool reunion but shameful unsafe sex

Score : 8/10

Tonight is the night. I have been feeling the excitement for weeks now. Since the fifth season ended I have regularly dreamed of Lumen and how much Julia Stiles performance moved and inspired me. But it's only now that I remember that back in December, 2010 I wasn't able to review the last three episodes. But for the moment it's wiser to focus on the present because season 6 just premiered.

To tell the truth its trailer made me skeptical because it featured far too many characters and I wasn't sure its religious theme would well mix with the show spirit. Don't get me wrong Dexter isn't just a physical body it also has a soul considering how heartbreaking and shocking it can be. However until now it had been relatively rational and quite earthbound. What do you believe ? I wonder what your answer is because as far as the show is concerned I strongly believe Dex can be saved. Just watch Fringe's premiere or read my review of the Easy as Pie episode to better understand what I mean. But to go back to the question two characters asked it to Dex and one of them was his sister but we all know he's no fox when it comes to such matters. It was definitely enlightening because it unveiled a new side of his multifacet persona. For the moment his reflection in the religious mirror is inexistent so I can't wait that it reveals its true colors. Vampire or mere mortal ?

It leads us to the characters because my only worry was to endure a new mumbo jumbo relationship like the one between Angel Batista and Maria LaGuerta. Things slightly got better but it's still first in my rotten elements list. That's why I was so glad to finally have our friendly Batista back and the addition of his lovely sister should definitely spice things up. Their scene at the restaurant was hilarious and instantly made them grow on me. In fact contrary to My Bad, season 5 first episode, Those Kinds of Things really felt like a premiere because of the numerous changes that happened since the finale. As for Vince it seems we can still count on him to deliver the comic relief and his professor arc is promising. However it's really Dex who acted like a clown this time and delivered most of the fun thanks to an entertaining highschool reunion. Moreover it was supported by Harry's ghost. Toilet buddy ? Bloody coach ? A refreshing role that changed of his usual seriousness. As for the story it allowed us to learn more about Dex's student life. It would actually be quite interesting to continue in this direction and feature some flashbacks like the ones in early seasons where Harry taught his son how to control his dark emotions. Otherwise I have a major complain about what happened because I hate when unsafe sex is shown on TV. I don't mind gratuitous nudity, specially when the woman is so sexy, but doing a fellatio poses a risk of infection. Ever heard of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases ? Use condoms or better, do it with someone you really trust and have feelings for !

Parallel to the little escape in highschool land the mandatory villains of the season were introduced. Indeed for once there're two monsters apparently and I already anticipate how much Edward James Olmos will disturb us considering how his performance on Caprica was convincing. Will he surpass John Lithgow from season 4 ? At least teaming him up with Colin Hanks is a bright idea, even if I only know him as Alex Whitman (Roswell), because so far Dex only had to deal with one villain at a time. Last season he was the one tagging along Lumen so I'm curious to see how these two new characters will interact and evolve. Master and apprentice ? I suspect the writers will surprise us again with their usual vicious twists. Moreover as expected Deb, who didn't swear (Oh my #$& !) but pulled out her gun, and her gang have to investigate and the first crime scene will surely test your guts and sense of humor. The absence of graphic violence was also quite stimulating because it allowed our mind to imagine how things happened. Dex's admirative reaction was also reminiscent of the first season and confirmed that this season should illuminate the atheists and be challenging for the deists.

No comments:

Post a Comment